Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

For the Young At Heart: Review of Wilmington's Children's Museum

THE HEARTS: Variety of Activities, Fairly priced

THE FARTS: Parking (depending on time)

Young At Heart says.....

Ahoy Matey! Today we are off for an adventure to The Children's Museum in Wilmington, and what an adventure it will be. This treasure chest of gems has rooms filled with wonderful things to do, explore, and interact with for children up to the age of ten (not counting YAH..I will always be a child at heart).




With two six year olds, we headed out to the museum mid day. Traffic was lighter than expected but I must admit, parking was a bear. We wound up finding a parking lot around the corner from the museum, paying $5 for the day. Meter parking is available but we couldn't find any available within walking distance on this particular day.

The cost to get in is $8 ea. for adults and children. One might strongly consider membership if you are a local or return for more than one visit (and you probably will if you are here for the entire summer). And don't forget to mention if you are military or a senior, both offer $1 discounts.

Upon entering the museum, one is greeted by a friendly local who can give you an overview of what is available to dabble in for the day (they do offer intriguing options such as playing in the mud but unfortunately on this day mud wrestling was out for me). My imagination burned wild! From becoming Captain YAH to doctor YAH, I was able to vicariously explore their wonderful rooms: pirate ship, camp site, doctor's office, dentist office, arts and crafts room, grocery store, restaurant and the list goes on. And that's just a dabbling of the inside stuff to do here. I could tell from the excitement in my great neice and nephew that they were also having a "shimmer me timbers" good time.



And the best for YAH....we spent over 2 1/2 hours there. I'm happy to report that they do have a fee based refueling station including a good selection of coffee for adults and healthier drinks and snacks for the kids. And last....do check in with their gift shop....we purchased two t-shirts for the kids. Their mom is planning on making a memory quilt some day from all their t-shirts.

Ah Mateys...YAH definitely recommends an excursion to this pearl of a place during the hot summer months here in Cape Fear!

Painted KISS,
YAH

Young Old Fart says...

I unfortunately didn't get to experience the "sheer awesomeness" (as stated by BOTH my cousins and my 53 yr old mother) that is The Children's Museum. My day consisted of my 9am-2pm part-time job at UNCW, reading Sophie Kinsella gems, and munching on delicious Dove dark chocolate. While I am disappointed I didn't get to be a doctor, pirate, and artist all in one day, my cousins brought back mile-wide smiles, stinky feet, and a priceless souvenir...



that is now proudly taped to my fridge.

Kittens and fudge,
YOF

No comments:

Post a Comment